Hill Oct 22 2016 Downtime Status Update as of 10:00 10/21
The Hill Center upgrade work is still on schedule. We don’t anticipate the weather being a problem and are proceeding as planned.
As previously noted, there will be periodic updates on the progress of the event, distributed via multiple channels including:
Thanks for your continued understanding and cooperation.
Status Update as of 10/12/2016 @ 16:00:
We are on target for performing the scheduled maintenance activity planned for Saturday October 22, 2016. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding.
Members of the Rutgers Community,
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) will be performing the second phase of the Hill Center Data Center electric upgrade from 6:30 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, October 22, 2016. This is required to increase the electrical capacity to accommodate greater research computing capacity and to improve reliability. During this upgrade, the electric to Hill Center will be shutdown including the Data Center. Details pertaining to affects, if any, to services widely used at the University are provided in the details below.
Please Note: If there are any issues with the electrical upgrade on October 22, 2016, OIT will complete the upgrade the following Saturday, October 29, 2016 from 6:30 AM to 11:00 PM.
OIT is committed to improving the quality and reliability of IT services. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
The central services listed below will be unavailable from 6:30 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, October 22, 2016.
– Eden Services
– Mailman (ad hoc mass emailing service)
– RAMS (Rutgers official mass emailing service)
– CMS/Drupal (UCM website hosting service)
– Certain Enterprise Client Services Hosted Applications
– Sakai Course Management and Collaboration Services
– RUMail Collaboration Services
– RCI Email Reading (Webmail, IMAP, POP, Pine)
– RCI Hosted Web Sites
– RCI Hosted Virtual Mail domains
– Other RCI Services
– Nagios Service Monitoring
While the following central services will be made available during the outage timeframe, there will be two brief outages from 6:30am-7:00am and 10:30pm-11:00pm to make accommodations for these services during the outage timeframe.
– ScarletMail (Google Apps for Education @Rutgers)
– Rutgers Connect (Microsoft Office 365)
The following services are NOT affected by this upgrade activity on Saturday, October 22, 2016 (note: this is not an exhaustive list):
– EAS Services (payroll, registration and other administrative services)
– EAS LDAP (authentication services)
– EAS Kerberos
– Central TD services will be unaffected by this maintenance.
– Internet services will not be affected.
– VoIP/Aastra System
– OIT Computer Lab logins and applications
– RUWireless /RUWireless Secure
– Pharos printing on all campuses.
– Non-OIT Wireless Services
– RBHS (UMDNJ Legacy) Services
The network uplinks for these buildings on Busch campus should be NOT be affected:
– BTN Networks for Busch Stadium and Yurcak Field
– Busch Gas Pump Area
– Busch Motor Pool
– Busch Visitor Center
– Electrical Engineering
– Emergency Services 3569
– Facilities Maintenance 3527
– Facilities Maintenance 3530
– Fire and Emergency Services Central Heating Plant
– Serin Physics Laboratory
– Sonny Werblin Recreation Center
– Yurcak Soccer Field
– Newark Campus network connectivity to New Brunswick
– Newark Campus RUWireless Access Points
Please also note: In addition to the Data Center in Hill being shutdown, this maintenance will also require the Hill Center Building electric to be shut down. Due to this, the building will be vacated and remain unoccupied, except for the construction team during this event. As a result, the Help Desk will have the ability to take limited calls and will not provide walk-in support.
Tenants of the Hill Data Center will receive additional instructions regarding affects and measures to follow in regard to systems co-located within the Hill Data Center.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this upgrade, please contact:
– The OIT New Brunswick Help Desk at: 848-445-HELP (4357) or email@example.com
– The OIT Newark Help Desk at: 973-353-5083 or firstname.lastname@example.org
– The OIT Camden Help Desk at: 856-225-6274 or email@example.com
OIT, Enterprise Infrastructure