University Facilities and the Office of Information Technology (OIT) will be completing emergency repairs to the Hill Center’s electrical infrastructure on Saturday, January 27, from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Multiple university IT services will be unavailable during this period.
This work is necessary to repair damage to the electrical distribution system from last week’s outage.
During this scheduled downtime at the Hill Center data center, we will also be completing repairs to critical cooling components and performing previously scheduled network upgrades. These repairs and upgrades should deliver improved availability, resiliency, and security to the data center. The electrical repairs, in particular, should reduce the chances for unscheduled outages.
How You May Be Affected
A variety of services will be unavailable or intermittently available during the repair period. Many services will also be unavailable for some time before the repairs begin, as well as for about an hour or more after the data center repairs are completed.
Here are some of the major services affected (see below for a more complete list):
- Sakai will be unavailable.
- Email may be delayed.
- The university homepage at Rutgers.edu and some other university websites may experience intermittent outages.
- Mailman email lists will be unavailable (email lists ending in @email.rutgers.edu).
- The RAMS mass email service will be unavailable (email lists ending in @rams.rutgers.edu).
- RUWireless and RUWireless Secure will be intermittently available.
Rutgers Connect (faculty/staff email) and ScarletMail (student email) should be largely available during the day, but users may experience intermittent outages.
The following services will be unavailable:
- Eden services
- HDRT—Problem Ticketing System
- Mailman (ad-hoc mass emailing service, with email lists ending in @email.rutgers.edu)
- Nagios Service Monitoring
- RAMS (Rutgers’ official mass emailing service, with email lists ending in @rams.rutgers.edu)
- RATS (NetID management services)
- RCI-hosted virtual mail domains and other RCI services
- RUWireless guest account creation
Hosted services for the following academic and administrative departments will be unavailable:
- Dining Services
- Division of Continuing Studies
- Enrollment Management
- Enterprise Client Services
- Finance – Procurement
- Information Technology Services
- Internal Auditing
- Planning and Public Policy
- School of Arts and Sciences (SAS)
- School of Communications and Information (SCI)
- Risk Management
Hosted services for the following research departments will be unavailable:
- Chemistry, Protein Data Bank, Proteomics
- Office of Advanced Research Computing (OARC)
The following services will be degraded or intermittently available:
- Enterprise Application Services Kerberos (authentication)
- Enterprise Messaging LDAP
- Enterprise Messaging Mail Relay Services
- mx.rutgers.edu (@rutgers.edu et. al. forwarding)
- RUWireless and RUWireless Secure
- RCI-hosted websites
The following services should NOT be affected:
- Enterprise Application Services (payroll, registration and other administrative services)
- Non-OIT wireless services
- OIT Computer Lab logins and applications
- Pharos printing
- RBHS (UMDNJ Legacy) services
- VoIP/Astra System
- VoIP RBHS